Thursday, May 7, 2009

kate gosselin on today show


kate gosselin on today show
As readers of this blog know, I have been writing about Jon & Kate Plus 8 for months. I think this reality show about a super-sized Pennsylvania family is a sociological goldmine with volumes to speak about marriage, gender and attitudes toward family and children today.

The number of passionate comments each post here generates never ceases to surprise and further enlighten me. People really care about this Gosselin family.

The dynamic of dominant Kate and goof-boy Jon is fascinating in its own right. I have ripped Kate for her nonstop kvetching, and defended her because someone in that household needs to be the adult.

So, trust me and my 25 years of writing about TV when I say the current "scandal" of Jon being photographed with another woman is nothing but good news for this series -- and probably the marriage. Honest, it's all good. When this show comes back for a new season on May 25 on TLC, the ratings that have already been through the roof are going to be through the sky.

Photo of Kate Gosselin: Getty Images

For the record, here is Jon's statement on the photo. But, believe me, it all about hyping the gate for May 25th TV return -- not a marriage in crisis.

"These allegations are false and just plain hurtful. As I adjust to the the attention that comes from being in the public eye, I need to be more careful and aware of who I am associating with and where I am spending my time. But the bottom line is, I did not cheat on Kate. I am sorry for putting my family in this awkward position, given some poor decisions and bad judgments I've made recently. I am working through this difficult time with my family. My family is my top priority."

No one is walking away from this marriage, there is far too much TLC money on the table for either Jon or Kate to leave.

And aren't you just dying to see how Kate is going to "punish" Jon during the new season for making her unhappy? It's better than Bill and Hillary -- and Monica.

Come on, admit, this bump in the marital road -- if there really is a bump -- has the potential to make for great television.

And don't tell me the kids are suffering. These two could have never provided for the kids as they are now being provided for with TV money. And anxiety-ridden Kate has more support systems as a mother than she would ever have enjoyed before becoming a reality TV star.

No comments:

Post a Comment